24-70mm f/2.8 zoom lens

Started Mar 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
JakeB
Contributing MemberPosts: 758Gear list
Like?
Re: 24-70mm f/2.8 zoom lens
In reply to RobCh, Apr 21, 2012

Rob, if you look you'll see that the lens is least extended at 50 mm -- going from 24 to 50 it grows shorter, then extends again from 50 to 70, so that switch over might cause a slight increase in resistance around the 50mm area. That's perfectly normal.

What a few users have experienced is a considerable feeling of resistance or stiffness in turning the lens -- if yours feels smooth (as mine does), then I'd suggest you stick it on your camera and enjoy it.

best,
Jake

RobCh wrote:

tvnewsbadge wrote:

Hummmm, what if your replacement lens has the same "problem". Mine does the same thing and it just seems to be not a defect but a natural result of the design where the lens reverses direction when zooming and works perfectly fine.

Because there seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions being strewn about regard this lens, I suggest you just bag it and find an alternative.

Even if there's nothing wrong with the lens, you'll never be happy with it, always expecting it to fail and imagining all kinds of things, so cut your loses now and move on is what I say.

I just received mine today from Amazon. While I do notice a faint grind noise from 50-70 (honestly, i wouldn't think it'd be an issue if i hadn't read about the issue before hand), the zoom ring does feel pretty smooth, maybe slightly more resistance from 50-70. Would this be considered normal?

JakeB's gear list:JakeB's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow