Lens Metadata Question

Started Apr 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Zamac
Senior MemberPosts: 1,211Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens Metadata Question
In reply to jadawgis732, Apr 21, 2012

jadawgis732 wrote:

Hi, how do some people have their lenses included in the EXIF metadata? Mine show up correctly (most of the time) in Lightroom, but if you look at the metadata in Windows file properties or FXIF (a Firefox extension that permits you to right click on the image and view metadata) there is no lens field.

As I understand it, Exif 2.3 contains at least two regular fields related to the lens:-
1. focal length and aperture range (numeric)
2. Lens name (text)

These field are provided (in theory) by the lens and are not present in Exif 2.2, so if you have anything but some very recent lenses or don't have Exif 2.3 you will not get this lens information.

In Exif 2.2, however, the lens number is stored in the manufacturer data and this can be looked up in a table by computer software (does not seem to be made public by Sony). However, only Sony lenses are supported and 3rd party lenses are ignored or reported as the Sony lens with the lens number - for example my Tamron 90mm is reported as the Sony 100mm.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow