Zeiss... why the love? Performance or just respect for the brand?

Started Apr 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mitchydkid
Regular MemberPosts: 306
Like?
Zeiss... why the love? Performance or just respect for the brand?
Apr 21, 2012

I'm strongly considering a wide angle lens for landscapes to go with my D800... if it ever shows up. I'm interested in the new 28 1.8G, knowing it won't be the best, but wondering if it will be 97% of the best. I read people's general comments on Zeiss lenses being all that and a bag of chips, but does the Zeiss purchase price get you truly and noticeably better optics, or is it just the name, history, respect, etc.?

What I am afraid of is all the equipment snobbery that exists. Zeiss has a heck of a reputation behind their name and it must have been earned, but that cannot keep others from making great lenses too AND it probably buys Zeiss a little slack also. I can imagine some people letting the name cloud their objectivity.

So, are they really that good? Only reason I am asking is because its starting to sound like only the best WA lenses will be able to match the resolution of the D800. I would rather splurge on an expensive lens than waste 700 on something that wont please me if I do some large prints.

Thanks,
Dale

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow