Battle of the ultra wides? Who's the winner?

Started Apr 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Seehorse
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
Battle of the ultra wides? Who's the winner?
Apr 21, 2012

I'm toying with picking up a 10-22mm (or similar) for my 7D and was wondering if anyone had insight into the relative merits of each? I'll use it for landscape primarily and those rare occasions where my 18-55 isn't enough.

I've looked at the Sigma, Tamaron and Canon offerings in that range, is the Canon worth the price premium over the other two? I had a few minutes to play with the Sig and Tamaron at the shop today; it wasn't exactly the ideal location to fully test the lens. I did snap a few with the 70-200 2.8 and was blown away by the quality and just how heavy that huge hunk of glass is.

My budget is fairly limited right now; I need to get a few odds and ends for my video production business and since it's paying the bills it gets first dibs on the goodies... I just had to drop ~$7k on a new lens for one of my HD video cameras. For that matter, that was a middle of the road lens too!

I've been dabbling in photo for years but only recently started getting serious... I'm finding some things carry over from video production but it's a fairly steep learning curve. After 30+ years behind a video camera this still stuff's fun, and MUCH lighter to carry. Now I need to find a way to make some loot off of it.

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow