Started Apr 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Arky
Regular MemberPosts: 424Gear list
Like?
Re: Problems with SD14
In reply to motomanDK, Apr 21, 2012

motomanDK wrote:

Hi all

i have just received a SD14 i purchased pre-owned. I took a few testshots yesterday, and the only thing i noticed was a blue tint, but i assumed that could be the former owner's white balance settings.

Yesterday evening i cleaned the camera - it was very dirty - i removed the IR/UV filter, cleaned the mirror and prism-glass (dont know the right word), opened the mirror and shutter (up and exposure buttons) and cleaned the sensor and chamber with pressurized argon (like i do with astronomy cameras). AND the i updated the firmware from 1.06 to 1.08.

When i use the camera today i have problems with the exposure timing - above about 1/100 of a second everything seems to work normally (long open time). But when the exposure time drops below 1/100 sec. it doesn't look like the timing changed (short exposures).

On these 2 pictures (manual exposure) the f/ value is 8, ISO 100 and on the first picture the exposure time is 1/125 sec. and on the second one the time is 1/4000 - the pictures look very much alike.

The next 3 pictures i have made with aperture priority and changed the aperture from 11 and down to 6 - if you look at the exposure timing the time is reduced, but the picture gets more and more overexposed.

Have i done something wrong? Could it be a defective firmware update (even though both files reported succes)? Or should the camera somehow be reset (i have tried 'Camera reset')?
Please help me!

Henrik - Denmark

Sorry to say but I think your shutter is failing.

If it over exposes when the shutter speed is fast but is fine at a slower shutter speed it usually indicates impending shutter failure.

If it over exposes when stopped down but is fine wide open it is a fault of the lens iris failing to stop down.

Arky's gear list:Arky's gear list
Sigma DP1s Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Sigma SD14 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow