Conclusion After a Day With The NEX-7:

Started Apr 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
MusicmanUK
Contributing MemberPosts: 587
Like?
Thinking of 5D -> NEX 7
In reply to Binone, Apr 21, 2012

Interesting to hear your observations vs the 5D2.

I'm seriously considering an NEX 7 kit.

A year ago, in search of a smaller, lighter camera to take out on family days and keep with me all the time, I bought a Panasonic G2.

Then I made the mistake of purchasing an adapter that let me use my fairly extensive collection of FD lenses with it and discovered that it was very nearly as much fun as my FD film bodies with them on. The bonus being I could take both out with me for a day and swap between film and digital as the mood took me.

Unless I've really needed it, my 5D Mk1 has ended up sitting on a shelf for most of the last 11 months. Downside is that, while the lenses are mostly up to the job, the G2's sensor isn't in the same league as the 5D and the 2x crop is bugging me on the wide end. While I can live with the G2's EVF it's occasionally limiting me (one of the reasons I went full frame in the first place was to get a decent viewfinder - manual focus film cameras tend to spoil you in that respect).

The NEX 7 seems to fit the bill. I may keep a selection of EF primes (mostly because I have some EOS film bodies to use them with) and offload my 70-200 2.8L IS and 17-40 and perhaps the 5D.

I've never really bothered with Custom settings on any camera I've owned, so I'm not overly bothered by their absence. As long as I can easily access shutter speed, aperture, metering mode and AF mode and ISO on bodies that have them, I'm happy.

Guess I'm just looking for some reassurance that the NEX 7 can fill the 5D's boots on quality at lower ISOs. The charts seem to suggest it can.

The more I'm writing this, the more I think it's a good idea...

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow