No best Nikon DX standard prime lens available.

Started Jul 19, 2011 | Discussions thread
alx357
Regular MemberPosts: 103
Like?
Re: I Believe...
In reply to alx357, Apr 20, 2012

So finally it is coming..... at least it appears the answer to my search for a DX AFS standard lens of highest quality without going all the way to a 1.4 aperture and the two-thousand dollar 24mm AFS. By the end of May according to Nikon, their new 28mm F1.8 AFS lens, for a DX equivalent of 42mm, will be available for 700 dollars. This new lens with latest technology and the Nano coating on at least one side of one element ought to provide the best quality IQ in an adequately fast, full featured wide-standard prime lens for DX, at a reasonable price. VR might have been nice, but not necessary when the 1.8 aperture is available. Plus the sharpness and low distortion benefit of using the DX center of a lens that is designed and well corrected for FX.

I also like that it is a monolithic barrel, with rear-element focus and no moving external parts. When China makes an aftermarket copy hood, I'll get one of them and cut off the petals for a less intimidating appearance ( for casual shooting attracting less attention ) like I did for the 17-55 and several other lenses. Cut off, meaning cut off and belt sand to a smooth and even chamfered edge, looking like a factory made cylindrical or conical hood without the four extending lips.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow