Started Apr 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andy Hastings
Regular MemberPosts: 141Gear list
Like?
Olympus Reception Nationwide (US)
Apr 20, 2012

Ever since I got into photography in anything more than a purely casual way (2005) a I have been interested in Olympus products. Their lack of support by vendors in the United States as always surprised me. Now with EM-5 maybe some of that will change if it is a popular camera...but it is interesting to me to read of everyone's experience getting the EM-5 from different parts of the US (where MFT has not made nearly the in-roads it has in Europe or Japan).

I read about people getting cameras from stores in New York, Texas, and Callifornia. I am one of the many silver 12-50 kit orderers holding their breath for B&H Photo...at first I felt bad about my dollars going to an out-of-state vendor...but since we are in this holding pattern I tried calling the local camera stores in Chicago. I would probably be willing to pay local taxes if it meant getting the camera a month earlier...I also wouldn't mind starting a relationship with a camera store as I am buying my first "big boy" serious camera....alas...I think I will be stuck with internet dating for a while (relationship-wise that is).

I called Wolf Camera (not really "local"), Central Camera, Calumet Photo, and Helix Camera (the last three all in downtown Chicago). Wolf Camera, which is a national company, offers the camera by special order only, no plans to carry it in-stock. I didn't expect much from them and would prefer one of the local entities anyway.

Of the three main Chicago camera stores, only Helix even seemed to carry any level of Olympus products (based on website). I called all three. Central and Calumet basically just said "No" they would not be carrying the camera. Helix indicated they would take orders for it but were only classifying it as a "special order" item for now. If this is how it is for Olympus, good luck trying to find a Panasonic product in Chicago!

If someone has some first hand experience with any of these Chicago shops that would indicate I should give them another chance down the road (like maybe the issue right now is the EM-5 is so new), let me know.

Is there something about Chicago that makes this a bad place for anything not Canon/Nikon? People in freakin' San Antonio can get the camera! (no offense intended)

-- hide signature --

-Andy Hastings

Andy Hastings's gear list:Andy Hastings's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow