Started Apr 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
PerL
Forum ProPosts: 12,454
Like?
Have you ever heard...
In reply to Deleted1929, Apr 20, 2012

sjgcit wrote:

To answer two replies in one :

• Yes, film is dying. The number of companies making it is rapidly diminishing. About the only thing keeping film going is instant cameras, IMO and that's going to dry up as more or more people end up with adequate cameras in phone, etc.

• I'd like it gone, gone because it's a distraction from the direction photographic technology is going. I also see institutions and people force film on people who don't need it now and never will. A while back I had to get a film camera for a high school student doing a photography course ( in school ). These kids are never going to use digital in the real world and they're just teaching them rubbish from the old days. Let it go. I'm an engineering type and we respect the past, but we don't wallow in it.

I'm also totally fed up listening to people who insist that film had some "magic" quality that digital doesn't. This is fantasy based on nostalgia and nothing else.

...someone say ”I love these shots. They look so digital!"?

All things have their time. Film's time is over and has been for a while now. Corpses sometimes twitch after death, but that doesn't mean they're going to get off the morgue table and order a pizza. Film is DOA.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow