Started Apr 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JaneB
Regular MemberPosts: 234
Like?
Insuring a discontinued camera
Apr 20, 2012

Although I consider myself to be an amateur, I do occasional paid shoots (children's portraits) - just one or two a month.

Because of this, I decided I ought to have an insurance policy so that I would have public liability insurance. So I took out a policy with aaduki (in the UK) just under a year ago, and it is now up for renewal.

I need to give them a total value for my equipment and I'm a bit confused.

My main camera is an A580 and I also have an A700 that I might take along to photography sessions (as a back up or to avoid changing lenses). Of course, both of these are discontinued so I can't give a current value. Should I use the value of one of the newer models - and if so, which?

Also one of my lenses was 2nd hand on e.bay. Should I use the new cost in the calculation.

And to add to my confusion, am I obliged to count up the value of every single lens and flash that I own, or only things that I usually use for portrait sessions?

Since non of my items has an individual value of £1000 I don't have to list them. But I have read (somewhere, I vaguely remember) that it is a bad thing to be underinsured.

I want to be honest and not do anything underhand. My main concern is not invalidating the terms of my insurance so that if anyone did get hurt at a photography session, the public liability insurance would cover it.

I'm not sure I'm even making sense here. But if I was to add up every single camera, lens, flash etc and get a value of £x but only insure myself for £y because I'd never take more than £y worth to a photography session. And then there was an accident and I needed to claim on the public liability - would I have a problem?

Am I talking complete nonsense?

Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow