Started Apr 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
lemon_juice
Contributing MemberPosts: 742
Like?
Re: I find it hard to believe...
In reply to bobn2, Apr 20, 2012

bobn2 wrote:

lemon_juice wrote:

I guess it's just cheaper and more convenient for Nikon to put the same sensor into all of its DX cameras than make (or order) several different types.

Nikon doesn't do that, whether it is cheaper or not:
D3100: Nikon 14MP
D3200: Nikon 24MP
D5100: Sony 16MP
D7000: Sony 16MP
D300s: Sony 12MP

Yes, you are right, I might not have said it clearly enough what I meant - I thought that maybe Nikon has plans to put the same sensor on all of its DX cameras to cut the costs. This is pure speculation though.

Given the demand for these cameras, it looks like Nikon is doing a better job of making sensible decisions than are the folks here on DPR who like to do it on their behalf.

I this case I'm speaking on my behalf, I don't doubt Nikon makes good decisions for their own profit and sure D3200 will sell pretty well. I have an old 10MP D60 with 18-55 and I consider myself to be a target for entry level cameras. I use my camera only as a hobby, some casual shots once in a while but I use RAW sometimes when I travel to some nice places. And I know how much 10MP is - in 99% it's much more than I need, very rarely I print up to 30x45cm and the detail can be seen even at very close viewing distances. I have been considering an upgrade but 24MP turns me off a bit because I know that will offer me nothing apart from larger files and slower processing time. If only I knew that I have more detail in those 24 megapixels but no - as the samples demontrate, the kit lens or the sensor don't deliver 24MP detail. But I'm afraid I'll have to live with that, those are the trends nowadays...

-- hide signature --

Michal.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow