Started Apr 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
russbarnes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,087Gear list
Like?
D800 - Revealing the truth about Nikon Glass
Apr 20, 2012

Just completed an amazing test period with the D800 this morning. Amazing in that it shows that my fears about the left sided focus points are absolutely based on lens performance, not the camera body. I went out with my best and worst lenses (based on my AF target testing I completed at the weekend) to see how much the margin of error really was - my £1600 Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII v my £300 50mm f/1.4G. Doesn't sound like a fair match does it, but actually some people swear that at f/2.8 the 50mm f/1.4 can be as good as it gets.

Well I am now utterly convinced that my 50mm f/1.4G is junk, and I probably have a particularly poor copy, that my 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII is not so great wide open at 70mm, needs to be used beyond 85mm and positively sparkles at 135. Any news here? I don't think so, it's just that test charts told this story before, now with the D800 it's "in your face" obvious. The outer left focus point performed flawlessly on my 70-200 except at 70mm where it fell behind a little (but so did the centre point).

EVERYTHING is being exaggerated on the D800. Depth of field, curvature, contrast detect AF, detail, micro-missess of AF, take your pick. What I do know is my 50 1.4G which seemed to just about make the grade on my 12MP D700 is just not fit for purpose on the D800, but I suspect that even with a 'good' copy that it probably won't make the cut either, particularly when shot wide open. Mine is going on eBay I have other lenses that cover this range though admittedly not at f/1.4...

I'm going to take a much closer look at the recently designed and released 85 f/1.8G instead... I'll start looking for samples on the D800.

For those waiting for their D800 I really would fear a lot less about the thought of a general focus fault, but if you have question marks over the performance of your current lenses then you might want to heavily bear that in mind before mounting them on a D800 and also start paying a lot closer attention to the limitations previously reported in charts (take a look at photozone.de for starters maybe).

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow