D4 anybody using it yet?

Started Apr 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
fauxtog
Forum MemberPosts: 63Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes, D4 posts seem rare these days
In reply to Marianne Oelund, Apr 20, 2012

Marianne, that's a fascinating first insight--certainly not a typical first impression!

I'm glad you'll be looking at AF next. As you've probably seen, some here are complaining of left-side AF issues. Strangely, my left-most (vertical-center, horizontal-left-most) focus point is particularly bad, which seems to be more noticeable with my 50mm f/1.4G, but still evident (to a lesser degree) with my 24-70mm f/2.8. (I haven't yet tested my 105mm f/2.8 VR.)

On both tested lenses, focus gets worse as I move from center to left. Center is good. Moving right is fine, including the right-most point (vertical-center, horizontal-right-most).

I haven't tested as much going up and down, but cursory tries with some of the points above and below horizontal center do not show the problems that I'm having with the left-most point sometimes being unable to lock focus where every other point can (and when it does, it's never as good as center or far-right, or any other points I've tested).

Contrast-detect (live view) focusing shows the lens/camera combos can lock focus on that left-most point (again, in live view), and do so very sharply, so it is definitely specific to phase-detect (viewfinder) focus toward the left.

Anyway, I'll be very curious to see what your findings are.

fauxtog's gear list:fauxtog's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Sony RX100 II +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow