Fisheye or Wide-Angle for 7D

Started Apr 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
boulderdashcci
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
Re: Fisheye or Wide-Angle for 7D
In reply to TrevorNews, Apr 20, 2012

Keep in mind that most (all?) fisheye lenses won't take filters, which limit their usability for landscapes. Also know that they can give some nasty CA fringing, which can be a bit harder to deal with than the few clicks in Lightroom it takes to correct a normal lens. Once you figure out the distortion however I think they are a bit more usable and forgiving than people give them credit for. I have the Tokina 10-17 and while I primarily use it for concerts/skatepark/event shooting, I have used it for landscapes in the past with nice results.

The 15 is not going to be very wide nor fishy. At that point you may as well just go with the 15-85 or 17-50 or something similar which gives you a much more versatile lens if you're staying crop, or as said the 16-35 might be a good idea if you plan to move up to FF. I use the 10-17 pretty much exclusively at 10 (I think I actually used 17 for the first time in my year of owning it last week), so if I had to do it again I would probably go with the fixed Sigma 10mm F2.8 as the zooming thing is kind of a novelty (although it does make the lens usable on both full frame and crop which is nice to have I suppose).

I would like to pick up a 10-22 at some point as it allows the use of filters, which is a big plus to me.

boulderdashcci's gear list:boulderdashcci's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Tokina AT-X 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 DX Fish-eye Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow