A G1X review I like

Started Apr 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
deep7
Contributing MemberPosts: 694Gear list
Like?
Re: A G1X review I like
In reply to Tony Sx, Apr 20, 2012

Tony Sx wrote:

The fact that you have bought one would tend to bias your opinion of the review.
Consider:
The OVF is cr*p
The focal length of the lens is extremely ordinary,
Some buttons - e.g. movie, menu - are too easily pressed.
The inbuilt flash is near-useless.
An extra number of dollars/pounds to be able to attach ANYTHING.
Whatever the manual says, there is no manual focus.

I'm sure it takes excellent images - for an $700 camera but the improvement in image quality over a 2/3" sensor is not that great.
And why should you be limited to a 4:3 format when shooting RAW?
--
Banned in the News Forum.

I have a G1X. An interesting, if quirky camera. Hmm, let's see:

The OVF is so much better than nothing it's not funny. No need to attach something when I want a viewfinder, it's built right in. And if I have to crop a little after, that's way better than not having a clue what's in the shot;

The focal length of the lens is where the vast majority of photos are taken, duh;

The buttons are well designed and I have yet to press one by mistake. Do you shoot in gauntlets?
The inbuilt flash is excellent - maybe yours is faulty?;

Very few cameras provide any free attachments. The filter holder adds less than 3% to the price of the camera, duh again;

Manual focus is not quick, but it's there and it's accurate and it still allows you to see the whole frame. That's good.

The improvement in image quality over any 2/3" sensor is massive. The improvement over many 4/3, APSC and 1 inch sensors is quite significant;

And, if you are shooting RAW, and therefore tweaking the files later, that's the best time to crop exactly how you like.

Ah, that's better, I was feeling snappy and I found someone to snap at! Seriously, though, the G1X has deficiencies but, if you chose those to worry about, it means you don't have one, so your opinion has less value than the original poster.

Oh, yes, value - here in New Zealand, the G1X is the same price as the X10, cheaper than an EP3 and way cheaper than a GX1 (with or without pancake zoom) or an NEX7 and, I dare say if we ever get another Olympus distributor, cheaper than an EM5. It's allowed to be not perfect.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Don.

A Land Rover, a camera ... I'm happy!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow