Started Apr 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Birgir
Regular MemberPosts: 116
Like?
A open letter to Sigma
Apr 19, 2012

This is an open letter to the camera and lens maker Sigma.

And what is it the message?

Please support Linux.

Simple message I know, but why? I am a Sigma Foveon camera user since the year 2003 and have found the Sigma Foveon photo sensor to be one of the unique things in our world just after the Pyramids, sex and Linux. I use the camera because of the special pictures it can produce and I believe it is my responsibility to support Sigma by buying there products so Sigma will continue to develop this sensor. But I am also a Linux user and believe Linux is something I should support and advocate. What I would really like is to be able to use the Sigma Photo Pro Raw converter to process my photos within a Linux operating system of my choice. And I believe if Sigma would make there Sigma Photo Pro compatible with Linux they would be increasing there product awareness among a whole new demographic. Let's look at this in a more step by step manner.

1. Support a unique system

Sigma cameras use a unique censor and Linux is in my mind also unique. There is nothing quite like the philosophy of free software for all. Simply by making there Sigma photo Pro raw converter work in Linux Sigma would create a buss in whole new demographic of people. Sigma could even collaborate with System76 and create a Sigma equipped Laptop (along with a Sigma SD1 Merril camera).

2.Sigma will sell more cameras

Actually I have no idea if it will I just believe it will. Simply by advancing the raw converter to Linux will spark interest for Sigma products.

3. The Sigma Raw converter is free and so is Linux

Yes I know the Sigma Raw converter isn't open source but it is available to anyone who wishes to try. So are the many Linux operating systems in the world. I am sure some PR person at Sigma who reads this is now thinking of a cool slogan to make for the next advert now. There are possibility's here.

So in short. Sigma Corporation of USA and Japan, please think about the next step for the Sigma raw converter and the possibility in the free press this will create. I am 100% sure it will be positive. I my self promise to go to every Linux chat room I can think of and praise Sigma for your daring and innovation.
--
http://www.birgir.org
http://www.birgirfreyr.wordpress.com

Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow