Started Apr 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
morepix
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,005Gear list
Like?
Goodbye HDR
Apr 19, 2012

Anyway, goodbye multiple-image HDR. As Julianne Kost observes in one of her Lightroom videos, the "developing" tools in Lightroom 4 can accomplish a lot of what used call for three or more images, plus processing in Photomatix or some such tonemapping program. The following image was shot in raw with a Panasonic GH2, exposing to the right. Then most of the heavy lifting in processing was done by LR4, with only a little touch-up with the Nik filters.

It's easier than steadying the camera for multi-bracketing and it bypasses the problem of "ghosting" when objects in the scene move between exposures. I think it also bypasses the overcooked look that some people object to so strongly in tonemapped images. What do you think? I don't know, however, if it could be pushed to yield that grunge HDR look. I'll have to give that a try.

Here it is, before and after postprocessing.

Before

After

-- hide signature --
 morepix's gear list:morepix's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Prstl2 MOD
Prstl2 MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow