Started Apr 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Shaun Bell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,266Gear list
Like?
DXO and road bikes
Apr 19, 2012

Funny to compare, but very relevant. It's called the laws of diminishing returns. Maybe 15 years ago I bought a Colnago C-40 carbon road bike. At the time it was the "game changer". A frame that broke the 2.2Kg weight barrier that actually was safe to ride. Sill have it along with a new Specialized S-Works Tarmac. The new bike is about the same weight, stiffness and riding properties. In a race, I seriously wouldn't care which I rode. Today you can spend $3000 for a good road bike or $12000 for the extreme. The difference in the actual bike is negligible! There's almost no room to improve the already refined design. Same for cameras. When Nikon came out with the D3 it actually changed the way I shot. But now, every body since has been such a small increment of improvement there's little reason to upgrade. And I know that for a fact. I also have a D3x and again it's marginally better under certain shooting situations. Worth $8500? Not a chance. The difference between the 5DmIII and the D800 are ridiculously small, only the camera companies want us to believe otherwise. The laws of diminishing returns are very much on the minds of the engineers and marketing types at Canon and Nikon. Don't fall for the hype. Maybe our replacement cycles will won't match the model releases anymore lol! Good for us, not for Canon and Nikon.
--
http://www.paphotographics.com

Shaun Bell's gear list:Shaun Bell's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D700 Nikon D3X +10 more
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D3 Nikon D3X Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow