Started Apr 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
BelePhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 299Gear list
Like?
Re: You are overthinking it
In reply to Quoth, Apr 19, 2012

Maybe I am ... but there are reasons.

Quoth wrote:

When you install any program, it will usually ask you to close any other running programs to avoid any problems with files in use.

It didn't ask me to close any other program than LR4 - not even PS. The ACR 6.6 update for PSE 10 simply wouldn't install until I closed LR4. The only reason for this is that the two share common files and these were locked by the LR4 process.

Installing Lightroom and ACR will NOT cause you any problems.

They share components, how do you know?

You can just choose to use whichever one you want.

I am aware of that

Lightroom is a standalone program, while ACR is essentially the same thing as a RAW processing front end to Photoshop.

Yet they share components

Even if they did share a few files, (as many programs do) why on earth would this be an issue to any end user?

Because LR4 ships with version 3.x of a file which is than potentially replaced by version 2.x from PSE. I.e. an algorithm introduced with 3.x is suddenly missing and the application wil either execute differently or throw an error. Hence my recommendation to Adobe is to align the versions asap.

You seem to want to find fault with the Adobe installations where there appears to be none.

No I want to avoid problems. As stated so far I haven't seen any so in that sense, yes I am overthinking it. I've been a developer consultant for to long I guess. I'm also aware of the ins and outs of product teams within software vendors and know that the communication between them often leaves much to be desired. For now it's all good, but as a consultant I'd ask them to remedy the situation nonetheless.

BelePhotography's gear list:BelePhotography's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Olympus E-M1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow