Can you Beat the 5D3's JPEG engine at Noise Reduction?

Started Apr 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jffielde
Regular MemberPosts: 290
Like?
Can you Beat the 5D3's JPEG engine at Noise Reduction?
Apr 19, 2012

From the samples floating around here, the 5D3's JPEG engine looks pretty fantastic at reducing noise and producing usable very-high ISO photos.

As a test, I played with a few of the samples at 12,800 with my tools (Aperture 3, LR4 and Topaz Noise5), I really can't routinely get better results than Canon's 5D3 JPEG engine produces.

I processed the RAW set last night and then just downloaded the JPEGs with "normal" noise reduction enabled. I often preferred the JPEG set. That very, very rarely happened with my prior cameras (and I've owned pretty much all the high-end Canons).

I'm not a high-ISO master by any stretch. I rarely shoot above 1600ISO, but I do occasionally have the need. At least at my moderate skill level (and with pretty good tools), I can't generally do better than Canon's new JPEG engine.

I'm not posting samples, because everyone's preference for noise vs. detail differs. I'm just curious to know whether others are finding that Canon's JPEGs may be more useful than first thought. (At least for me, I shoot JPEGs only as back-ups, but if their noise reduction turns out to be superior to what I can produce - and with less effort - I might use them more often).

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow