X-pro-1 / Fuji where is your Quality Control?

Started Apr 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
phaseout
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
X-pro-1 / Fuji where is your Quality Control?
Apr 19, 2012

I've now had the X-pro 1 + 35 f1.4 for about a week. I have been through alot of cameras in my life but I have never been so torn about a camera before. I really want to love this camera.

The build quality, the retro design, the size, the weight. All perfect! Short of my 5D Mark III this cameras IQ is superior to any camera I have ever used. It's high ISO capabilities are legendary. The photos are clear and crisp and look great in most cases. The autofocus, while somewhat sluggish, I find it to be decent enough and more accurate than the X100. Q menu is an awesome addition.

All these positives I mentioned would seem like enough right? Then why Fuji would you create such a mess with the rest of the camera? So close to perfection, yet so far away.

Chattering aperture blades that can drive a person mad. I shot a company party and was getting looks from coworkers asking me what was wrong with my camera. Aside from that, autofocus is extremely loud, the EVF is sluggish and slow to update. The shutter speed dial is very stiff and hard to rotate while looking though the VF. The customization is so limited. you are only allowed to customize the FN button, while the control dial which is the best dial on the camera remains dormant, unused and non programmable. The arrows buttons, also cannot be customized. Missing a live exposure preview for aperture and shutter speed like all other fuji cameras. Focus by wire renders the manual focus of the lenses virtually useless for anything other than fine tuning. Various memory card problems. Minimum shutter speed cannot be set rendering auto ISO useless.

I just dont understand how a company that creates cameras and lenses with such fine optics screws up the most basic features that so many lesser cameras get right. And they do it with one camera, and then repeat many of the same exact mistakes the following year. It's heartbreaking to have to return this camera but I cannot justify the price with so many bugs and design flaws. What a shame. Kudos to you folks that can overlook the negatives as I am truly jealous and will shake my head in disappointment every time I see someone carrying this black beauty in their hands with thoughts of what might have been.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow