Started Apr 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
I Beam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,999Gear list
Like?
Accosted in Singapore
Apr 19, 2012

Last evening I was taking photographs on a public thoroughfare in the centre of Singapore. We had just had dinner and I had given up on the sunset which looked promising but never really materialised. It was going to rain and we wanted to find a taxi before it did.

I was takiing a last few photographs of an old style English pub on the river waterfront. A couple of guys got off their bar stools and approached me. The first guy told me that I had not asked for his permission to take his photograph. The other guy piped up and said I did not have his permission either. The first guy told me he did not want his photograph posted on Facebook or the like. He asked me to delete the photographs so I said no problem and deleted the last one I took. While deleting the photograph I said that I was photographing in a public place so I could not see how this was a problem. Vaguely satisfied they then slouched off.

Later in the eveing I looked at the photographs taken immediately before the one deleted. The first guy was on sitting on a bar stool and was pretty well hidden, the second guy had his back to me. If I had posted that photograph I doubt that his own mother would have recogised him.

We are only here in Singapore for a few days and have never had a problem taking photographs here before. By contrast with last night's episode in Indonesia people actually come up to me in the street and ask for their photographs to be taken.

I was using my D5100 and 18-105 kit lens. Perhaps I should go back there again tonight with my D700 and 70-200 lens, at least I woul have something to defend myself with.

Here is the photograph taken immediately before the one deleted.

Regards

Paul

Nikon D5100 Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow