D800, don't dump your AI/AIS lenses ;)

Started Apr 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jeff Morris
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,285Gear list
Like?
Many AIs lenses are wonderful... But...
In reply to Hugo First, Apr 18, 2012

In an effort to gather a pack of lite travel lenses I looked at MF AIs lenses. Over the last few months I purchased two 20mm f2.8 AIs lenses. One was defective and one was just a mess contrast and sharpness wise.

I really love wide and I purchased a 18mm f3.5 AI-s. In fact the lens hood came in today. Well let me tell you what a pile of dung that lens is. I read all of the reviews I could find. I have come to the opinion that Nikon and Canon could not make a ultra wide to save their lives. This 18mm is blurry in the corners! The 20mm were not much better. I tried controlled shots outdoors handheld and it was not my technique. These older wide angles stink! Now around 35mm and longer that's a different story.

No wonder people went ape over the 14-24 AF-s! I do have a 14-24 and I took some comparison shots and It confirmed how good the D800 and the 14-24 really are. I will just have to lug round the beast and know I have the best available UWA available.
--
Regards,

Jeff Morris / Homecinemaman

Adams, Gutmann, Steichen, Snoopy, Stigletz, Weston. they lead by example.

I hunt, I peck, I squint, all on a MacBook Pro 13" laptop. So don't laugh, I'm happy there aren't more typo's! (Love the screen and touch pad, hate the keyboard.)

Jeff Morris's gear list:Jeff Morris's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
20?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow