Is much of the anti-EVF sentiment from people who didn't tune their EVF properly?

Started Apr 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MCromer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,138
Like?
Is much of the anti-EVF sentiment from people who didn't tune their EVF properly?
Apr 18, 2012

I am beginning to wonder.

In order to get a EVF image with lots of shadow detail, you need to turn contrast way down (I turn mine down to -3, using "neutral" jpeg style.

When you do this, the EVF image has a great deal of shadow detail.

I've asked a couple of prominent folks on the internet who were complaining about the lack of shadow detail what their contrast settings are. So far, none of them have responded, which suggests to me that it is at least somewhat likely that they just didn't know how to tune the EVF image to maximize visible DR.

I think this could also explain many of the folks who walked into a store, used the Alpha 77 for twenty minutes and then complained about how "artificial" the EVF image seemed to their eyes. Yeah, it looks way too punchy and processed because you haven't tuned it for minimal punchiness and processing!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
@RayNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow