Started Apr 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KennethDante
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
Plea for help with Focus Lock/ AEL on Sony SLT's
Apr 18, 2012

The manual is very limited in it's explanations of how to utilize some basic features on the a57.

In the settings under menu on "page" 3 in the camera I see the option for setting the Func. of the AEL button. I set it to AF Lock. I'm trying to lock focus on subject with the AF area set to Spot. From there I do a half shutter to grab the focus point of my choosing but then nothing seems to lock. It just re-focuses when I try to take the shot. (center of frame of course since it is set to spot) which is not what I want.) I am so confused about why the AEL button is not behaving in a way that is intuitive and seems to do nothing differently no matter if I am in AEL toggle/ AEL hold or AF lock. I just want AF lock so I can set the focus point prior to the snap without it refocusing. This seems very basic.

It may be of importance that I am using a 2 sec timer off a tripod since I am using a slow shutter speed. I would prefer not to have my hands on the camera when it's taking the shot.

Any help clarifying would be greatly appreciated. Also the center button on the back that says AF inside the circle. Does that function the exact same as a half shutter? (while the camera is ready for capture)

Thank you very kindly. I know there are a lot of you who know how to get their SLT's to do what they want them to do!

Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow