Are sports shooters happy about possible full frame D400?

Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
capanikon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,847Gear list
Like?
Re: Are sports shooters happy about possible full frame D400?
In reply to The Big One, Apr 18, 2012

Practice will help. Using AF takes a bit of skill.

I dislike letting the camera pick the focus point -- it's been my experience that it often selects a focus point other than where I'd like it to focus.

Pre-focusing also works. Like if you're shooting baseball and you want to get a photo of a baserunner on second base who's trying to steal third, and you want a shot of the baserunner scrambling back to second after the pitcher tries to pick him off ... AF is hardly needed! Just pre-focus on second and wait for the action. Then all you have to do is lay on the motor drive -- no focus required, since you've pre-focused the shot.

That's being a "proactive" photographer. If you're "reactive" instead, you'll have to first AF correctly and frame the image and release the shutter. When you do it this way your odds of getting a good photo may go down.

capanikon's gear list:capanikon's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow