Which Canon Prime?

Started Apr 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
MX_shooter
Regular MemberPosts: 220
Like?
Re: Which Canon Prime?
In reply to tfranzone, Apr 18, 2012

Maybe you can swap the 24-70 for a 35L and then buy a tamron 28-75.
Then add a 135L or 85 1.8 in the future.

tfranzone wrote:

Hi everyone,

I was looking for some thoughts from anyone who may have one or the other or even both of these two lenses:

Canon 35mm f/2

Canon 50mm f/1.4 Preferably, I'd like feedback from users who shoot/have shot with these lenses on a FF body.

I've decided my perfect lens is the 35 f/1.4L for my shooting purposes and personal taste, but I'm holding off on it for now because of the price.

I shoot on a 5DMkII and typically use my 24-70L. I truly love the versatility and performance of this lens, but I really prefer to shoot with primes. I'm currently torn between both of the above mentioned lenses.... I know down the line I will be purchasing the 35L, but for now, I'd really enjoy a decently fast prime to use on a frequent basis as I: 1.enjoy shooting in available light.. 2.enjoy shooting low light situations both outdoor and indoor and 3. I'm trying to lighten my kit.

The price difference between these two lenses isnt really a stretch so I'm okay on those marks.. I know I want something no wider than 35 and no narrower than 50 as I have a 24-70 2.8L and a 70-200 2.8L. The 50 1.8 is just too flimsy for me.. and I despise it's focusing ring if I ever want to manual focus.

So here's my thoughts that I need help with... I'm leaning towards the 50mm bc eventually when I buy the 35L, the 50 will more round out my kit's focal length versatility.. the 50mm also has USM autofocusing which will be quieter and perhaps a touch faster, also 1.4 instead of f/2 of the 35mm.

I am looking for which of the two will give me the best overall image/optical quality that I can also be happy with using frequently.. the only downside to the 50 I can think is that for my personal taste, I'd like it to be a hair wider in terms of view but I can live with 50 and I think ultimately buying the 35 f/2 when I know I will get the 35 1.4L down the line may seem silly.....

What is everyones shooting experiences with either or both of these lenses on FF?

THANKS!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow