Started Apr 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marco
Senior MemberPosts: 1,851
Like?
5Dmk2 vs D800 shootout
Apr 18, 2012

A friend of mine just received his D800 and offered me to test it against my 5DmkII.

I'm very interested in this Nikon camera and although I prefer Canon glass (I used Nikon for many years, in film days - F5 - and digital -D3) I also use Zeiss glass which is available in both mounts so I could keep the same fingerprint on some lenses.

For the test I used my 5D2 with the ZE 50 f/2 Makro Planar, since my dealer kindly lent me a used 50 Makro-Planar in ZF.2 mount so I could compare both cameras with pretty much identical glass.

I also compared a so-so zoom on the D800 (28-300VR) with a nice prime on the 5D2 (90 TSE) throwing in also my Leica M9 with a 90 Macro-Elmar.

http://www.pbase.com/marco/d800_vs_5d2_shootout

I can make all the Raw files and many more up to 6400 ISO available if any kind soul could point me to a free cloud server to upload them (over 3 Gb!!)

In the end the D800 is amazing, but I'll keep my 5DmkII and be happy saving for some new lenses, like the 24 TS-E II

-- hide signature --

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.

Marc Twain

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow