Started Apr 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ddushko
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?
Watercolor paper and framing
Apr 18, 2012

Following an advice in an old thread, I tried to print on a, lets call it non-inkjet, watercolor paper. So, I took a sheet of 220g/m2 Lukas watercolor paper from a hobby shop. As far as I know these "standard" art papers do not have a special layer as the inkjet fine-art papers. At least not a printer optimized layer. Nevertheless, the print that came out is really really good. Obviously because its a watercolor paper, the surface is able to suck a lot of liquid and to suck it fast. After a short period (about 2 minutes) of drying, the paper was bended during that time and flattened after 2mins, everything was ready. No running ink issues (OCP ink with a Canon BCI6 printer). No capillarity problems... The colors are very good even without profiling (color management off). Now I am planning to make a profile for this paper and use it. The price is much lower than the inkjet options. Now, a few questions:

1. Does any of you guys use a standard art paper as a main type of fine art paper. Any issues? Do I have to cover it with a special lack (Hahnemuehle for example) in order to prevent fading and color shifts?

2. The picture I printed was created with the Dynamic Auto Painter. As a source I was using an old landscape photo. Looking at it and searching for problems, I had it against a diffuse light from the window, and I really liked the effect. Probably because the paper is not very thick or because there is no hard layer on the printing side, the light goes really nicely through the paper and the affect is very pleasing. I tried to find a good DIY project for a frame with a light source build-in behind the paper, but was not really successful. Any advices on this? I think that the best will be to have several lines of LEDs behind and then a matt plate in order to make the light field even. LEDs because of the low power consumption. I will be really grateful if somebody can point me to a good source of information on this topic.

ddushko

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow