Still having back focus issues.. or something else?

Started Apr 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kris in CT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,535Gear list
Like?
Still having back focus issues.. or something else?
Apr 18, 2012

I started a thread a few days ago when I came to the realization that all my lenses were having varying degrees of backfocus. I have d90 so there are no software micro adjusts. I tried adjusting the af mirror with a hex wrench, but found it did very little in fixing my problems so I returned it back to its original position.

The lens I use the most is my Tamron 200-500 which really exaggerates the problem over say 45 feet or so. The strange thing is it seems to get less noticeable with closer objects. I'm posting a few samples to see what all the experts here on DPR have to say. I have been forced to shoot at F11 trying to get enough DOF to get "acceptable sharpness.. I think all the exif is attached. I've tried AF-single and AF-dynamic but the results are the same. Also no focus and recompose...

I guess my question is, is this an AF problem, a backfocus calibration problem, or a lens problem. Do I contact Nikon or Tamron?

All focus points are single and dead center of image...

The first 2 shots are 42 meters (apx 120 feet), DOF should be 4.9 meters (15 feet)
Focused on bird

Focused a few feet in front and slightly to the right of the bird:

The flower is 16 meters (50 feet), DOF should be 43cm ( 16 inches)
Autofocus:

Manual Focus

And strange enough this duck was only 13 meters (40 feet) with a DOF of 30cm (1 foot) The focus point was right on its beak..

Kris in CT's gear list:Kris in CT's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +3 more
Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow