Started Apr 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dbm305
Contributing MemberPosts: 709Gear list
Like?
Please can we have a 50mm f2 L macro!!
Apr 18, 2012

Maybe wingeing on forums can begin the long term process of having an influence on lens roadmaps (I wish)

Anyhow let we whine: I want a 50mm f2 macro L! (1.8 would be even better)

And I'd pay the big bucks for it.

Such a beast could be as sharp as the Zeiss 50mm f2 makro or the Zuiko 50mm f2 and yet autofocus fast (especially if with limiters)

I'd even not care if it only went to 1:2

The thought is a new, weather sealed, lighting fast focussing tolerably small lens that could be used wide open.

Currently I have a 50 1.4 and a Zeiss 50 2; and I use them both. But neither is ideal: the build of the 1.4 is unsparing, and it's wonderful stopped down but dubious before f 2.2. And I'm often getting too close for it to focus! At least it autofucusses.

The Zeiss is wonderfully sharp from wide open (though please can my dream lens have better bokeh?) and is beautifully buit - but it's not weather sealed and more importantly doesn't autofocus which for some kinds of photography (especially now the 5dIII has focus sorted!) is really very handy.

My great hope is that Canon might think of it as a replacement for the 50mm 3.5 compact macro....

dbm305's gear list:dbm305's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +12 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow