I need a 24-70mm or 50mm, but which one?

Started Apr 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TigrouMeow
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?
I need a 24-70mm or 50mm, but which one?
Apr 18, 2012

Hello,

I own a D800 with two super lenses, the 85 f/1.4G and the 14-24mm f/2.8. I'm super satisfied with those two lenses (of course) but now I'm missing something "in the middle".

I'm doing urban exploration (totorotimes.com) in Japan. The 14-24 is very useful for that job, sure, but what about taking a nice photograph of a scene, say, in a bedroom, or a desk full of things on it? None of my two lenses can do that properly.

Of course, I was thinking of getting the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8. But now, I know that the Tokina 24-70mm f/2.8 is going to be released two days before my big trip! So should I get the Nikon, or the Tokina? Money is not the issue, the thing is the Tokina is stabilized. And if I'm in a hurry, or need to shoot something that happens fast, I can get it. I used to have a Canon 7D and a 17-55mm stabilized (which is the equivalent), and even though it was not the "best shot" it's my favorite combo, the one that you can take everywhere with you at any time.

The alternative would be to get a 50mm. I can still move closer or further from my subject if I need after all. But what advantages will it give me over the Nikon 24-70? Weight is not a problem for me neither.

Thanks for your insights

Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow