Started Apr 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,739Gear list
Like?
I'm finally happy with an S100 Macro
Apr 18, 2012

Although the S100 has been an outstanding fun little camera, producing many fine images, I have shyed away from using it for macro shots. Maybe it was just me and lack of proper technique with a small camera, but I had not been happy with the results. Especially after seeing its capabilities in regular shooting mode (not within an inch or two). But this afternoon, either I got lucky, or I finally get it. It's a grab of a couple of azalea flowers (because the camera was in my pocket ). The image is farther below, but first a diversion.

Had to do some serious work last week (though I have fun doing that as well), so these images are not from a P&S, but my 5D. They are macro shots of tiny Columbines. Now everything about them I tightly controlled. The reflection of the lighting from the mornig sun, the precise composition, the f-stop and shutter speed, all while in the field (and trying to block the breeze). All to meet the required criteria. And everyone was happy with the results. I'll post a couple here (note that they are copyright):

I wanted to be able to approach this control in macro with the S100 (I always try to push all my tools in any dicipline without regard to relative product expectations or cost). Today I think I finally got close. It's a grab, so the late afternoon lighting is natural. But the clarity and depth of the image was something I hadn't been able to achieve from only an inch or two away with this camera before.

So, I'll have to finally say that this little wonder can do macro, or admit that I finally get it.

Comments welcome. Thanks for looking.

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow