Started Apr 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
magneto shot
Senior MemberPosts: 1,153Gear list
Like?
v1, from an M9 owner perspective
Apr 18, 2012

I been using m9 for all my model photo sessions until 2 months ago i got myself a v1. It went to the workshop for a month and now its back in action.

The v1 forces me to shoot my models in a completely different way, this is because the lack of bokeh/shallow dof, renders most images ..practically in the category of P&S (similar to shots made by my zr100 compact and mobile phone).

Almost all my albums are done in M9, the latest 2 are done in v1.

V1 : model shoots

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.352155518165360.76443.171375309576716&type=1

M9 and the rest :
http://www.facebook.com/media/albums/?id=171375309576716

I want to emphasize that the inability to have shallow DOF cannot be stressed enough. Often i find that without bokeh, the v1 is confined to just scenery or very specific types of portrait photography. Out of focus blur is often as important and in some cases more important that the sharp subject.

Despite what i read in steve's H site, i must disagree that the V1 with the current lens setup, is anything serious except basic family P&S. Comparing v1 with 4/3 is no longer valid in my experience, since any 4/3 with its available choices of lens could easily produce shallow DOF while the Nikon 1 is kind stuck.

Do observe the various ads, trailers, movies and shots you see on the streets, notice how bokeh/shallow dof plays significant role in almost all the photos/view. That is what you will be missing out with the Nikon 1. A poor answer to the 4/3.

If you are an FF owner and wished to get a smaller cam or give ur FF a break, i suggest you go for 4/3, forget the nikon 1.

As for existing Nikon 1 owners, i wish we will see the 18mm 1.4 AF soon. Right now...is super P&S

magneto shot's gear list:magneto shot's gear list
Leica X Vario Sigma SD15 Leica M9 Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Nikon D4 +2 more
Casio Exilim EX-ZR100 Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow