Panasonic & Olympus, should be more aggressive

Started Apr 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
jquagga
Contributing MemberPosts: 594
Like?
Re: Panasonic & Olympus, should be more aggressive
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Apr 17, 2012

I think Olympus has good marketing. Their "Pen Ready" project got me to buy a m43 camera. Granted I bought the Panasonic but still, it is what had me looking at the cameras and to invest. They just slightly missed the mark ...

Panasonic appears to be stepping up their marketing of late. The event in NYC with Engadget a bit ago, the review panel (which I've heard nothing about of late), the raise the bar tour going on now and several contests and promotions.

I think what you might be missing though is the targeted audience. These seem to be targeted at the general consumer that wants a "better camera" but might want something smaller than a DSLR. That seems to be having problems getting traction here in the US as people assume the big fat camera takes much better pictures (which might be true in certain cases but not if you never leave Auto mode!). And why buy an interchangeable lens camera if you're never going to take the 18-55 lens off?

The OM-D is clearly marketed towards the enthusiast market though. And Panasonic's release of the GX1 and the new f/2.8 zoom out there on the horizon somewhere indicate they're willing to invest a bit to get the enthusiast market as well. If Panasonic would address their gaping hole in customer support, they could make a pretty good push.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow