Light leak even in sunlight

Started Apr 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Igoforit
Contributing MemberPosts: 613
Like?
Re: because it will mess you up
In reply to tko, Apr 17, 2012

@tko

Just be aware to cover you viewfinder during these shots as well since the amount of light that will come in through the viewfinder is much much more than through the LCD.

I can't recall the few times I ever shot pictures with the viewfinder covered. If the problem of the LCD is a fraction of the viewfinder problem, then I think I can live with that.
Not saying it doesn't exist, just saying it looks like a very minor issue to me.

BTW: "On a sunny day and with ISO 100 film / setting in the camera, one sets the aperture to f/16 and the shutter speed to 1/100 or 1/125 second" From wikipedia the sunny 16 rule. This means with a 64 x ND filter it becomes 1/2 second (6 stops longer) exposure time. Perhaps you can explain you how you get to 30 sec on a sunny day?

tko wrote:

Sure, if you're taking photos of your cat with flash it will be fine. But I hope you brought you $3500 camera and some L lenses to do a little more than that.

I happen to like to use neutral density filters to take long exposure of the ocean, waterfalls, and even public places - you can actually blur out the people. That might mean a 30 second exposure in bright sunlight, because you have a 64X ND filter on it. The camera will most definitely mess up for this situation.

Sure, the workaround isn't too hard. Cover the top LCD and take the photo. Or do several test 10 second exposures. And hope you don't forget and cast your shadow on the top of the camera during your exposure.

But why did I pay that $3500 again?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow