ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tatanka
Contributing MemberPosts: 889Gear list
Like?
Telescopes and F-mount
Apr 17, 2012

A question for the folks here...

Situation: I'd like to buy a telescope for a relative of mine as a retirement present. Doesn't have to be anything real fancy, but it has to be good. I'd place optical quality way above automatic star scanning. Needs to be able to mount to a Nikon DSLR. He has a new place with a lake view and I think he'd enjoy it. I hope he's not reading this.

I don't have any real requirements and don't know much about it -- this is a scenario where a telescope on a tripod in front of the "lake window" would probably get used, but astronomy might not ever be a goal. Nikon glass won't apply here; looking for something with some "astro" magnification that doesn't jeopardize my own retirement.

Anyone here with some real-world experience? What's the "Oh, yeah, this is what you want" deal from those who have been there? I'm outta my league.

Thanks aplenty for any advice on this.

tatanka's gear list:tatanka's gear list
Canon PowerShot S3 IS Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Nikon D80 +8 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow