The SD1 actually DOES stand up to the 645D!!

Started Apr 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
brittonx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,383Gear list
Like?
Re: On the Detail/sharpness Obession and marketing madness
In reply to DMillier, Apr 17, 2012

DMillier wrote:

It sounds impressive but it isn't actually correct.

One example: if the detail in the scene exceeds Nyquist, what is recorded is not detail but total rubbish. Likewise, it is incorrect to say that an AA filter blurs the whole image - it blurs the details that are above the capability of the sensor to resolve. That is very different from saying it blurs everything.

It is not rubbish. It is a representation of the fact that there is detail, even if the sensor canot resolve it. "Perception" is just as important, if not more so, than "Reality" when viewing a photograph.

When looking at an image of a grassy field, for example, I much prefer to see that there are individual grass blades (even if the actual count of blades is incorrect) rather than mushed out details (even false ones).

Foveon jaggies are perfectly visible even in A4 prints with the right (wrong) subject.

Not everyone is as violently opposed to the "Foveon Jaggies" as you put it.

Quibbles aside, it is clear to me that most people seem to be blind to this (theoretically and in reality) so I guess it will continue to bother only those of us who care about image integrity.

I care more that the image is perceived as accurate (even if it is not technically so) versus too soft and blurred just because it was beyond the sensor and/or lens "accurate" resolving capability. I suspect many Foveon fans (but not all) feel the same as I do.

Now, if I was more interested in forensics then I might care more if there were actually twelve grass blades instead of the perceived ten.

I'm looking forward to the D800 vs D800e debate.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --
 brittonx's gear list:brittonx's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Sigma SD1 Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow