macro lens vs telephoto with extention tube

Started Apr 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dave Martin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,160
Like?
Re: macro lens vs telephoto with extention tube
In reply to baneling, Apr 17, 2012

baneling wrote:

are you sure this will work on my Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS? does it say this anywhere on the web? I can't find this on Marumi's site.
--
-----------------------------------------
Canon T3i
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

All the specs say it will. I have not tried it. If it does not work send it back.

Some of us have devoted hours to trying to help you. If I didn't think it would work I wouldn't recommend it.

Wait until I test it on a comparable lens maybe.

Perhaps you are doomed to a future of gnawing thoughts of not having the absolute best for the absolute least. I don't know how to do any more to help you.

Perhaps you should buy a $200 Canon 250D which is almost as strong and has probably been used on a lens like yours.

I do know this: the design and manufacture of an achromatic close-up lens is not all that complicated & I will be very surprised if the Marumi does not perform well, especially after having read much praise of its quality.

One thing you should know about any close-up lens attachment: the edges of the photo won't be as good as the center. This seldom matters for macros of natural things because they are curvy & the depth of field for macros is so small the edges are out of focus anyway.

Tubes with your 18-55 lens might be better regarding edges - but I'd still go with a close-up lens first. If you are afraid of Marumi, go with Raynox DCR 150 (+4.8 but may vignette at low mags.)

Dave

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow