Started Apr 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Alton (TN)
Senior MemberPosts: 1,051
Like?
SX40 and finally bluebirds
Apr 17, 2012

I have been through quite a learning process this year trying to attract and raise bluebirds. At first, I had a pair come and have their nest pretty much complete and then they just quit on it. Chickadees took over and then wasp.

I finally took the box down cleaned it out and soaped the surfaces so wasp could not build. The pair of bluebirds came back by the box but never showed much interest until Tree Swallows came. Then they fought over the box but the Tree Swallows finally kept it.

To make a very long story short, I bought another identical box (with a nest cam) and put it up, but they fought over the previous location still. Finally the bluebirds took a box I had set up for the chickadees on the deck on the other side of the house. I quickly changed out the chickadee box with the one with the nest cam in it and in less than two days now the bluebirds have a complete nest built.

As it turns out, this is the best place to take pictures of them anyway.

I took this shot this morning. I was already pretty far away and when I checked the camera after the shot, I noticed that I didn't have it zoomed out all the way either. So this one is not a detailed as some of my others but for the crop I thought it did a pretty good Job.

You will have to use IE and the plugin for the cameras to work right, but you can see the live view of the nest cam for the bluebirds here:
http://bubbasbluebirds.from-tn.com:30002/en/avmain.asp

I hope you like them!

And the tree swallows here:
http://bubbastreeswallows.from-tn.com:30000/en/avmain.asp

-- hide signature --

Alton

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow