Senior MemberPosts: 2,793Gear list
Like?
Re: Mirror vibration DOES NOT matter...
In reply to TrojMacReady, Apr 17, 2012

TrojMacReady wrote:

Mike CH wrote:

TrojMacReady wrote:

Vlad4D wrote:

Here is a shot taken with a DSLR and I fail to see any problems produced by mirror slap:

You may not see it in this (very nice) shoot because mirror slap vibration is noticeable only at shutter speeds longer than 1/40. Probably because frequency of vibration is around 20 Hz.

And even a bit faster than that as pixel densities go up. The A77 already has a higher density than the D800 in the OP.

But isn't that just why MLU and later (to a degree) SLT was invented? So we had ways to deal with or completely do away with mirror slap problems?

I must admit that I don't quite see the meaning of this thread. The original Nikon post and thread just shows that MLU helps, so where is the beef? OK, it also shows that faster shutters are required, when the pixel density goes up. Of course SLT works, too (better, really, because there is no mirror).

Barry is probably laughing his head off somewhere...

Regular MLU is quite limited in its usefulness, in the sense that it doesn't go well with handholding the camera and you're always stuck with a delay of (usually) seconds. Great for planned shots from tripods and such.

Sure. MLU is a band-aid. But a very necessary band-aid when working with a mirror.

Regards,
Mike
--
Wait and see...

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow