Started Apr 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
ARB1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,022Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 as a vacation cam?
In reply to Lance B, Apr 17, 2012

Lance B wrote:

Starred wrote:

I currently have a micro 43 camera-set and although it is pretty convenient for a lot of situations, the pics do not always give me the 'wow factor'.

Most of the photo's shot by the D800 on the other hand do look abolutely amazing and mostly are wow. Of course you'll need very good glass, like the 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 zooms to benefit from the superb sensor.

Would you recommend such a D800/fastzoom combo for one who primarily shoots foto's during citytrips, vacations, sportevents (kids soccer) etc? Or is it overkill and not very convenient (too large, too heavy) at all?

I will be using it as my vacation cam. Why not? Doesn't bother me lugging it around and the results I get from my D700 set up and pros zooms are fantastic, so the benefit of the D800 will be even better. The ability to crop will be a real boon for when I need reach, so I am less reliant on TC's or needing a crop sensored camera fr those animal pics when required.

I now take the D700 + these lenses:
16-35 f4 VR
24-70 f2.8 attached to camera
70-200 f2.8 VRII
1.4x TCII and 2x TCIII
Depending on where I go, I may take the D7000 for reach, or a flash.

All this packed into my Lowepro Flipside 400, but now I have the newly released Flipside 500 which is bigger and I can actually fit the 300 f2.8 VRII in it as well as all of the above and it is still damned comfortable!

Man that's a @hit load of (very nice ) gear for a vacation. My wife and I just returned from Peru where we climbed Machu Picchu and Wayna Picchu and there is no way I would have made it up Wayna Picchu with that much gear. It was difficult with my D800, 24-120mm, 10-20mm and monopod.

-- hide signature --

Allen

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow