Discordant reviews of G1X

Started Apr 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
tinpusher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,146Gear list
Like?
Re: Another mindless rant or two...
In reply to Marco Nero, Apr 17, 2012

Marco Nero wrote:

The Lumix image processor is very unappealing to me. Far too much processing and noise reduction in-camera. The other thing is that the G1X is known for it's abilities at high ISO and in low light. And here you are contradicting this. Which is it?

The sensor in the G3 which is the same as in the GX1 ( and is a significant improvement over earlier sensors ) is better at 1600 and above and given that faster lenses are available my G3 is better in low light. That's not to say that the G1X is bad but it's not a first choice for low light.

The camera design and menu system is simply poor.

Most would disagree with you there. The Canon menu system is logical and practical. Far better than Sony, Nikon, Panasonic and, arguably, even Olympus.

I suppose it depends on your experience of the competition. There aren't the options available say on a Lumix LX5 or the clear simplicity of the Leica Menus.

In the hand it doesn't feel as tactile as my Fuji X10 and X100 and lacks the artistic form of my Leica X1.

The G1X feels ancient? The shutter button is of low quality? It feels poor?

It most certainly does.

It feels as if a thin membrane is being squeezed on a circuit board with the two stage action almost not detectable

You were joking about Canon Color, right?

No. I suppose being used to Leica and Fuji colours makes me critical.

The yellows are quite green. I don't go along with all that is shown on the link here but OOC is too saturated

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Canon-PowerShot-G1-X-Digital-Camera-Review/Color.htm

The bottom line is that we can get great pictures from a small package, a package that is surely a pathfinder to better products in the future.

I shall continue to enjoy my camera and don't regret buying it but it doesn't get my recommendation.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow