Blown away with D700... considering cancelling D800

Started Apr 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Michael Harvey
Contributing MemberPosts: 513Gear list
Like?
Re: Blown away with D700... considering cancelling D800
In reply to SergioSpain, Apr 17, 2012

The first reply to your post is spot on!

I loved my D700 too and had some anxious moments while waiting for the D800 to arrive. Now that I have it, I realize that if I had a chance to compare the two cameras side-by-side, I would have chosen the D800.

It's not perfect...it is always a mystery to me why designers change or omit features that should have just been left alone. In the case of these two cameras, the user-friendliness of the D700 is superior.

But, as Sergio pointed out...you can just dig farther and deeper into the huge D800 files without running out of usable pixels. I don't need to haul around a heavy 500mm or 600mm lens for wildlife anymore. I can shoot with 300mm and crop my way to 600mm+ efl.

I've got some wildlife shots with the D700 that I didn't think could be improved upon. They are simply magnificent (if I say so myself). But I realize now, they could probably have been even better if I had the D800 at the time.

Once you get the "feel"of the 800 (and it is different enough from the 700 that I found myself having to think about what to do next) the IQ will banish any regrets of not having the D700.

-- hide signature --

Mike Harvey

Michael Harvey's gear list:Michael Harvey's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow