Started Apr 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FarmerFred
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Something wrong here?
Apr 17, 2012

Hi everyone...I'm pretty new here. I've been shooting with a D40 and either a kit lens, 18-200 and soon a 35mm 1.8 as well. Some pictures I'm really happy with, and sometimes I can get some koodos from friends and family for my photos. I'm not always "trying" when I take photos and sometimes I just take them to record events. Recently I bought the J1 with both kit lenses. I've been taking some photos with it, and a few I've been happy with...but most just don't seem to pop for me. I have all firmware updates for body and lenses. These are just casual photos I've taken, and for some reason they just don't seem to be in focus for me...something seems off and I can't quite place it. What do you folks think? I feel like when I try to use my understanding of aperture and shutter speed in either of those modes, something doesn't work out right with the J1, and so I've been trying to let the camera do the work in these photos.

The first and last examples are pictures I think turned out well. Why is the third photo not sharp? I was in Aperture Priority in that one... The second photo seems more grainy than I would expect.

I've been shooting only JPEGs...I would be willing to shoot RAW as I have ViewNx on my Macbook Pro, and would be willing to spend around $100 on a software program to get started with RAW.

This is the first time I've been really reaching out because I'm just not sure where to start...

Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D40
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow