5D MK III coming soon - what to do first?

Started Apr 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jasper in SF
Regular MemberPosts: 334Gear list
Like?
5D MK III coming soon - what to do first?
Apr 16, 2012

B&H says my 5D III will be on its way in a week or so who-hoo!. What do I do first?
Should I check for the light leak problem?
Should I pour over 100% crops of high ISO shots?
Should I check MTF charts and do some testing?

Maybe I should wring my hands over the Nikon D800 and prep to return my Canon and sell off the rest of my Canon gear?
Should I MFA my lenses (well hmmmm, might do that..)?

Or maybe I should slap on my nifty fifty, take some pics, and harken back to the original 'full frame' days - when I was learning on a film camera (in 1992 or so with a Rebel II and then A2E!), and 50mm was 50mm (not that I don't appreciate the crop factor...)

And not to dismiss all of the potential (or real) issues that folks are going through, but after reading the threads of despair that seem so common of late, I couldn't help this post. Of course, now that I've written this I'll be posting 24 hours after receiving the camera, wondering why I can't achieve proper focus, or what the heck was Canon doing when they....

Happy shooting!

Jasper

-- hide signature --

'There is no un-suck filter.'

• David duChemin

Which is too bad, because I could sure use one.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasper_rubin/

Jasper in SF's gear list:Jasper in SF's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow