Started Apr 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wildwilly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297
Like?
Comments on the 7D & Ipad3
Apr 16, 2012

Ok, I have been looking at using an Ipad3 for viewing, displaying, backing up photos in the field, not editing. I have been concerned about the process and file size issues (7D raw photos are in the 24-27 Mb range). My wife bought an Ipad3 so I now had something to experiment with.

• The Ipad would not power a Dynex card reader.

• Using the USB cable that came with the camera I connected the camera to the Ipad through an adapter in the Apple Camera Connection Kit (CCK).

First try, Nothing happened.

• Determined that if the Ipad was powered on first with the CCK connected to the Ipad & the USB cable and then turned on the camera that the Ipad would recognize the camera and find the photos.

• The Transfer of the photos was easy as pie, simply tell it in a small popup menu box to transfer the photos and it happened.

The next step was to ensure that I could get the photos out and onto my desktop.

I used the USB charging cable that came with the Ipad and connected it to a USB port on my Win XP computer and, just like magic, the computer recognized the Ipad and I was able to easily transfer the photos onto my hard drive by dragging and droppin in Windows Explorer.

Super! The whole process worked with less effort than imagined and appears to be a viable option for displaying, reviewing, backing up photos in the field.

Addendum: I also tried two other cameras that use SD memory cards. They tranfer even easier because the CCK comes with a card reader for SD cards.

-- hide signature --

John

Semper Fi!

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow