sigma 30mm questions... (beginner)

Started Apr 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
pacolucia
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
Re: sigma 30mm questions... (beginner)
In reply to SparkleHedgehog, Apr 16, 2012

If your main concern is low light, then f/2.8 while OK, it's not really that fast of an aperture and you can find 'old' manual lenses out there that are much "faster" and that you can easily adapt to the NEX system. For example, the olympus OM 50mm f/1.4 is pretty inexpensive. Of course this is not exactly a comparable lens since it is a 50 mm lens (and a manual focus lens at that) but for low-light it's a winner. You can see my impressions here:

http://paulorenato.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51:using-the-olympus-om-50mm-f14-lens-with-the-sony-nex-5n&catid=2:photography&Itemid=4

Notice that 1.4 to 2.8 means two stops difference. That's 4 times the shutter speed for the same scene! So if you are shooting a picture of a person in low-light, the sigma would be say 1/20s at f/2.8 whereas the Zuiko would be 1/80s at f/1.4. That can be the difference between a blurry photo and a good photo if the subject is moving (as people tend to).

Paulo

P.S: I also have a 24mm f/2.8 manual lens on my NEX and don't find nearly as good for low-light work.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow