AF 24-85mm F2.8-4 Aperture change over zoom range?

Started Apr 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
schaf
Contributing MemberPosts: 706
Like?
AF 24-85mm F2.8-4 Aperture change over zoom range?
Apr 16, 2012

Can anyone tell me, when set wide open how does the aperture change over the zoom range of this lens? In particular...when is is not longer at F2.8.

Also, any comments good bad or otherwise on this lens? I am looking to use this primarily for capturing candid shots in social gatherings, without flash when possible and flash only when essential, and then for casual indoor and outdoor portraits naturally using flash indoors or outdoors as needed as for fill.

I am a just hobbyist/enthusiast. I have an SB-700 flash but no lighting otherwise. I would probably also use this as a general walk about lens, though I tend to prefer slightly wider for that purpose. Here I just wish the color and contrast was better on the 18-105mm....but alas it is not.

I have searched through hundreds, if not thousands, of images from the AF 24-85mm F2.8-4 lens on Flickr and other sources and it seems to be very good with excellent color and contrast. I would not consider myself a sharpness freak, though sharpness is of course important and here most of the images I have seen appear to be very sharp indeed. I would like to query users of the lens here to validate (or not) my conclusions.

I am considering one to use now with my D80 and ultimately whatever my next DX body is.

Thanks in advance!
Schaf

Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow