ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
thesavin
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Going to Hawaii in July, looking for suggestions on lenses to buy for my G2
Apr 16, 2012

I have a G2 with the 14-42 kit lens.

I've been itching to get some additional lenses, and I think that the family trip to Hawaii in July is a good excuse.

One thing we're going to do is throw the kids in the volcano take the kids to see the active volcano on the Big Island, so I think a zoom would be good. My understanding is that for zoom lenses, I'm better off getting the Panasonic lenses since I want the image stabilization. My choices seems to be between the 45-200 @ $255 (B&H), the 100-300 @ $499 (B&H), or the 45-175 @ $382.

When I'm outside with the kit lens, I find myself trying to take landscapes at the 14mm setting. I've been eyeing the 14mm Panasonic primes on Ebay -- at $160 (approx), is it worth it? I almost feel like I should have something even wider than 14mm, but I don't know if I could justify $800 to $900 for the Panasonic 7-14mm or the Olympus 12mm.

I'm also thinking about getting the Panasonic 25mm, if I can find it in stock. If I went with a more expensive zoom, I don't know if I would get this for the trip.

This is a family trip. I imagine that at least 50% of my photos will be of the kids, either posed or candid.

Anything else I should consider?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow